Lina Bo Bardi (1914-1992) studied in Rome, where she graduated in 1940.
During her studies she drew for the architectural firm of her teacher Marcello Piacentini.
He then worked for Gio Ponti in Milan, on the editorial staff of the magazine Domus, and also helped to organise the Triennale.
In 1940, together with Cario Pagani, he opened an architectural practice in Milan.
In 1946, Bo Bardi emigrated to South America, where he met Oscar Niemeyer, Lucio Costa and other representatives of modern architecture.
His first project was his own glass house in the Morumbi district of Sao Paulo (1950-1951).
The living room of this house, situated on a slope, floats on slender pillars overlooking the garden and is exposed to view behind a glass façade.
However, the residence also offers a private space hidden behind the courtyard.
The Sao Paulo Museum of Art (1957-1968) follows a dual conception.
On the one hand, the two-storey main building lies flat in the middle of the surrounding park.
Above it, two powerful red concrete abutments support a suspended architectural accessory.
At street level there is a free public area.
This radical solution is intended to preserve the visual axis along the park, at least from a formal point of view.
For the commission to plan a leisure and sports centre on the site of the SESC factory in Pompéia, Sao Paulo (1977-1986), Bo Bardi decided not to demolish the buildings. The old industrial buildings were remodelled and completed with new constructions.
On the surplus land, the architect built upwards.
This gave rise to two concrete buildings.
The larger building houses a swimming pool and four sports halls on several overlapping floors, linked by several footbridges.
The red grille cladding behind the free-form windows indicates that industrial work is no longer carried out here.
The same windows appear in the Coatí restaurant building in Ladeira da Misericordia in Salvador (1987-1990).
This building was part of a restoration project in the historic centre.
The construction of precast concrete elements with undulating forms was erected on a small plot of land next to the pre-existing buildings.
Gössel, P. (2007). The A-Z of Modern Architecture (Vol. 1). Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag.