He is trained at the Free School of Architecture in Stockholm.
After working 2 years as an assistant at the Higher Technical School, he traveled between 1912-1913, touring Italy and France.
1915 together with Sigurd Lewerentz, one of the founding members of the Free School of Architecture, wins the competition for the Stockholm cemetery project.
1917-1918 among his first solo works is Villa Snellman in Djusholm and a forest chapel in Stockholm (1918-1920).
After the Palace of Justice in Solvesburg (1917-1921) and the Karl Johan school in Gothenburg (1915-1924), the Stockholm Municipal Library runs between 1918-1927.
A central horseshoe-shaped cylinder, surrounded by three shorter cubic wings.
From the neoclassical interpretation of this work, Asplund goes on to become a radical of the modern movement.
1930 for the Stockholm Exhibition he designs installations scattered around the land.
The pavilions made with large glass surfaces, thin steel profiles, parasols, and a changing theme, are landmarks of the 1930s style.
1931-1940 he is a professor at the Stockholm Higher Technical School.
The extension of the Gothenburg City Hall and the forest crematorium of the Stockholm South Cemetery (1935-1940) date from this period.
A construction consisting of a crematorium and three chapels.
The distinctive element of the main entrance is a colonnade.
The flat roof is supported by three square pillars.
GUNNAR ASPLUND, ARQUITECTO 1885-1940: Hakon Ahlberg, Colección de Arquitectura, Valencia 23 de junio de 1982
ASPLUND: Editorial Gustavo Gili S.A, 08029, Barcelona, 2ª edición 1997
ESCRITOS 1906/1940 CUADERNO DEL VIAJE A ITALIA DE 1913: Biblioteca de Arquitectura, El Escorial, Madrid